Masthead Fall 2017 Issue
It was great to see so many colleagues at the ASNE conference in October. For those who couldn't join us, this issue of the Masthead includes briefs from the annual briefing at the U.S. Department of State and a look at Leonard Pitts' lunchtime keynote address.
In this issue:
- MEDIA VIOLENCE: Psychology professor Christopher Ferguson challenges journalists to do better when commenting on the perceived connection between real-world and media violence.
- LEONARD PITTS: Journalism needs a sense of mission, the columnist says.
- GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE: What editors heard at last month's State Department briefing, covering North Korea, Russia, ISIL, NAFTA and business diplomacy.
- EDWRITE RECAP: There was a lively discussion this past month about fact-checking letters to the editor on the opinion writers discussion list.
- ENDORSEMENTS: Few topics have been so thoroughly discussed in the Masthead and the opinion discussion group. A search of Masthead archives shows the conversation over time.